The organisers of the Bahrain Grand Prix may be given more time to decide whether they are capable of holding a race in 2011.
Ecclestone had originally said a decision over whether the race could be rescheduled had to be made before May 1. That may now be extended.
“We need to wait a little bit. Things can change in a couple of weeks… so you don’t know,” he said in an interview with Reuters.
“All of a sudden everything might be peaceful in a month’s time and they are happy to run the event and so we are happy to be there.
“We need to wait a little bit to see exactly how progress is made. I suppose we’d be safe by early June or something like that,” he said.
But Ecclestone’s hope of a race at the Sakhir circuit may be dashed by the FIA.
A spokesman for governing body said “As far as we’re concerned a decision is still due on Sunday.”
“Because it’s a weekend it may be Monday morning that we announce the decision, but we haven’t spoken to Mr Ecclestone about any delay.
“The decision will be a joint one between the FIA, Formula One Management and theBahrainauthorities.”
Bahrain was due to hold the season opener in March but had to postpone in the light of anti-government protests and the threat to security.
It is expected that any rescheduled race would take place on November 20 – the week after the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. The season ending Grand Prix inBrazilwould probably be pushed back a week and into December should this happen.
The announcement comes on the day that four pro-democracy protesters were sentenced to death following the killing of two police officers.
Last week the Crown Prince of Bahrain, Salman bin Hamad al Khalifa, turned down an invitation to the royal wedding in light of public protest.